Billing and Insurance
Family Health Centers of San Diego (FHCSD) accepts a broad range of payment and insurance plans, including Covered California and Medi-Cal, to cover the cost of health care services. In addition, all FHCSD clinics operate on a sliding fee scale, which means the cost of services rendered is based upon income and family size.No patient will be turned away based on an inability to pay. Our staff can also help patients enroll in free or low-cost services, such as Medi-Cal, that can help cover the cost of treatment and services.
We make every possible effort to work with our patients regarding payments for their treatment and services. For more information about billing and payment information, or to inquire about our services and cost, please call (619) 515-2300.
Insurance Questions? We Can Help!
Our Certified Enrollment Counselors can answer your health care questions about the Affordable Care Act, Medi-Cal and Covered California. We can also help determine your eligibility and enroll you in Medi-Cal and Covered California insurance. Schedule an appointment with a Certified Enrollment Counselor today by calling (619) 515-2363 or sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To enroll in Medi-Cal or Covered California, you’ll need to provide the following documentation:
- State-issued photo identification
- Resident alien card (if applicable)
- Proof of residency, such as a lease agreement or utility bill
- Latest 1040 IRS tax document
- Proof of current income
The Affordable Care Act
In 2010, President Barack Obama signed into law the Affordable Care Act—commonly referred to as “Obamacare”—which was designed to expand health care coverage for the uninsured, provide greater consumer choice for health insurance and increase the affordability and quality of health care for all U.S. citizens. The new provisions in the health care law:
- Include health insurance exchanges, such as Covered California, that individuals and small businesses can utilize to purchase affordable insurance plans
- Prevent health care insurers from denying coverage to those with pre-existing health conditions, such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease
- Allow adult children to continue health care coverage under their parents’ plan until age 26
- Removes limits on the amount of money insurance companies must pay for certain health care services, including hospitalization, maternity and newborn care, prescription drugs and rehabilitative services
- Requires health care insurers to cover certain preventive care services for free, such as blood pressure and cholesterol tests, HIV screening, mammograms and vaccinations.
- Provides prescription discounts for senior citizens
For information about Covered California, including benefits, please visit our Covered California page. To enroll in a Covered California health insurance plan, please contact a FHCSD Certified Enrollment Counselors at (619) 515-2363 or email@example.com.
Designed for low-income individuals and families, Medi-Cal provides low-cost and no-cost insurance for those who qualify. Please visit our Medi-Cal page for more information.