Family Health Centers of San Diego (FHCSD) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization rich in history and tradition. In 1911, the San Diego Industrial School was built on the site where our first clinic now stands. This school was originally a settlement house that provided Barrio Logan’s immigrant residents with social services. The community grew around this location, and by 1940, Barrio Logan had become one of the largest Mexican-American communities on the West Coast.
In 1970, Laura Rodriguez and a group of community members sought to bring much-needed medical services to Barrio Logan. They took over the building and, after eight days of occupation, succeeded in negotiations with the City of San Diego and the community. This led to the gifting of the building to the community of Barrio Logan and the establishment of the Chicano Free Clinic. Medical care delivery began two evenings a week, and the health center saw approximately 150 patients each month.
This building eventually became Logan Heights Family Health Center, the flagship clinic of Family Health Centers of San Diego (FHCSD). FHCSD has since transformed into the tenth largest health centers in the country, providing care to over 227,000 men, women and children through more than one million health and medical encounters each year.