FHCSD Family Medicine Residency Program Mission Statement
The goal of the Family Medicine Residency Program is to recruit and train physicians from diverse backgrounds who are interested in providing care to the underserved communities of San Diego while providing broad-based clinical education and experience.
Residency Training Goals
- To develop outstanding physicians who are prepared to provide comprehensive and continuous primary medical care in a variety of settings
- To foster effective interpersonal and communication skills with patients, their families and health professionals
- To develop physicians who understand and put into practice up-to-date medical knowledge
- To foster professionalism
- To foster self-learning and self-improvement
- To achieve certification by the American Board of Family Medicine
- To develop leaders who will work within their communities to improve patient care
- To create a new generation of highly qualified community medicine physicians dedicated to the care of everyone, with a special commitment to uninsured, low-income and medically underserved persons
City Heights Family Health Center
The Family Medicine Residency Program and Family Medicine Center are located within our City Heights Family Health Center. This center sees approximately 68,000 health encounters annually. It is a full-service clinic with medical, dental and multiple therapy services onsite. The City Heights area hosts the most ethnically diverse community in San Diego County. Key ethnic demographics include Latinos, Somalis, Vietnamese and Cambodians. Residents have all their continuity clinics here, thereby building a patient panel and establishing relationships with the community.
Scripps Mercy Hospital
Scripps Mercy Hospital is the main training ground for the residents’ inpatient experience. Residents do their adult inpatient, intensive care, obstetrics, surgery, orthopedics, emergency medicine, cardiology, palliative, and newborn nursery rotations here. Scripps Mercy is San Diego’s longest established hospital and its two campus locations combine to make it San Diego’s largest hospital. They have trained residents since 1940 and are recognized for high performance in 12 specialties. Learn more here: www.scripps.org.
Rady's Children Hospital
Residents rotate through San Diego’s preeminent children’s hospital for their inpatient pediatric and pediatric emergency experiences. Rady’s is the largest children’s hospital in California and is ranked in all 10 pediatric specialties surveyed by U.S. News & World Report. Learn more here: www.rchsd.org.