The holiday season is meant to be a time to give thanks and show others how much they are appreciated. But with each year, it seems that the consumerism of Black Friday and Cyber Monday is given a greater precedence, taking away from the real purpose of Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you find this upsetting, don’t worry. There is a campaign that aligns itself with true holiday spirit! Giving Tuesday provides an opportunity to support the worthy causes of many non-profit organizations.
Family Health Centers of San Diego (FHCSD) encourages community members to make their donations on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. Our goal is to have 100 people give $5. That’s it!
A $5 donation will cost you one of the following:
- A stop at your local coffee shop. Instead, make your own cup of coffee before you head out in the morning.
- Eating out for lunch. Use those Thanksgiving leftovers to make a turkey sandwich and take your lunch to work one day next week.
- Dessert with the kids. Instead of making ice cream sundaes after dinner, take this opportunity to talk to your kids about the importance of giving to others who are in need. It might inspire them to donate toys they may have outgrown.
Here’s what your $5 donation will do for FHCSD:
- Defray costs of a wellness visit for a sick child.
- Provide a new mom with a car seat for her infant.
- Fund immunizations for kids returning to school.
- Help someone’s grandfather get a pair of glasses.
For more information on the impact of your giving and how to donate, visit our Giving Tuesday page.