Tuesday, December 3, 2019 kicks off the charitable holiday season and also marks the day we open the doors to The Housing Navigation Center in downtown San Diego.
Family Health Centers of San Diego has been providing health care and wraparound services for those experiencing homelessness since the 1980s. On December 3, we expand those efforts, using our decades of experience working with this population, to help our community address what can only be described as a crisis. The Housing Navigation Center will serve as a hub of comprehensive services, including mental health and substance use programs, workforce development, financial literacy and many more, all with the focus of getting individuals housing-ready.
Every dollar of your financial contribution goes towards our mission – providing affordable, high-quality care to the uninsured, low-income and medically underserved. Join us in that important mission today!
Homelessness in San Diego:
- San Diego County has the fourth largest homeless population in the U.S., with the third largest population of homeless veterans.
- The 2019 Point-in-Time Count found over 5,000 individuals experiencing homelessness in the City of San Diego where the Housing Navigation Center is located.
- FHCSD sees over 27,000 individuals experiencing homelessness annually, including those living on the street, in transitional housing and couch surfing.
About The Housing Navigation Center:
- In January 2018, the City of San Diego announced plans to establish a Housing Navigation Center designed to connect people experiencing homelessness to a network of resources and supportive services focused on promoting stabilization and transition to permanent and long-term housing in a single coordinated hub.
- As a regional health care provider for individuals experiencing homelessness, FHCSD is directing the efforts by providing medical and mental health services and is well-positioned to link the homeless population to much-needed housing resources.
- The Housing Navigation Center assists those who are experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness by identifying immediate and long-term housing solutions, providing crisis management, accessing benefits that are important to housing stability, case management and housing navigation, and providing on-site access and referrals to medical, mental health and substance use disorder services.
In addition to a financial contribution, help support care to the underserved in one of the following ways:
- Do your holiday shopping at AmazonSmile and choose Family Health Centers of San Diego as your charitable organization. For every eligible product, AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to FHCSD.
- Donate new or gently-loved baby items to our Baby Boutique. This program encourages new moms to complete their postpartum care, while helping them obtain essential baby items.
Learn more about Giving Tuesday.